You don’t feel your age, so why should you look your age? Ask almost anyone over the age of 40 to tell you what people guess their age to be. On average, it’s seven to 10 years younger than their actual, biological age. Do you know what that means? Our sense of age is changing. It’s in your power to redefine the stereotypes of your generation. Grandmothers aren’t in their rocking chairs knitting sweaters and baking cookies all day. They’re on their hands and knees with their grandchildren, cooking healthy meals, taking care of themselves, and feeling great! You can make your age just a number too.
We’ve researched the best ways to stay young at heart and keep the hands of time from turning.
Maintain a healthy lifestyle
How you look on the outside is a reflection of what’s happening on the inside. Any steps you take to improve your diet and increase your exercise will help you physically, mentally, and emotionally.
Here are some tips for a sustainable and healthy lifestyle:
- Get enough sleep. Most people need at least eight hours of sleep every night to regenerate the brain and body. Get out of sleep debt by getting eight straight hours of rest for six weeks straight.
- Eat healthy at least 90% of the time. Let’s face it, we all need a piece of chocolate cake once and a while! According to a study by the American Academy of Neurology, eating approximately one serving per day of green leafy vegetables can make you up to 11 years younger cognitively.
- Increase your physical activity. Exercise has the unique ability to reduce stress, burn calories, and re-energize our bodies. Just 30 minutes of exercise that increases your heart rate and breathing can boost your mood and help you think clearly. Strength training that focuses on your lower body and core builds stamina to help you feel younger!
Keep a positive attitude
Thinking young can actually make you feel and look younger. Defying your chronological age is all about mind over matter. Keeping an optimistic attitude will give you the positive energy to be active in youthful activities.
Follow these steps to keep your mind (and body) feeling young:
- Make goals for the future. Goals help us grow at any age. Develop aspirations for personal and professional growth. Why not learn a new language or start a new hobby?
- Exercise your mind. Do some mental training every day by playing puzzles involving numbers, sequences, and wordplay.
- Be thankful. Express gratitude for everything that happens to you, good and bad. When you focus on what you have, there will be less room for stress and anxiety.
Maintain a youthful appearance
Nearly half of all adults are not happy with their teeth. Now that your kids are self-sufficient, it’s time to invest in yourself. Cosmetic dentistry presents a reasonable, affordable, and attractive option. With technological improvements in dentistry, there’s no need to look older than you feel. Laser whitening, cosmetic bonding, crowns, and veneers, have made it possible for aging teeth to look young again.
What could hold you back from considering cosmetic dentistry?
- Aversion to dentistry. Dentistry has come a long way, but you may only remember the traumatic dental visits of the past. Don’t let your fear of dentists keep you from a radiant, healthy smile that fits your image and lifestyle. Many dental offices today are more like spas, combining the convenience of modern technology and relaxing patient comforts. If you still can’t overcome your fear, your dentist may offer sedation options to beat your anxiety.
- Concerns about cost. If your oral health has paid the price in the past at the expense of other priorities, isn’t it time to put your number one asset—your smile—first? Many cosmetic dentists offer financing options, like credit card payments or CareCredit (a healthcare financing credit card that makes the health, wellness and cosmetic procedures you want possible today).
- It won’t make a difference. You may be surprised to learn that fixing your bite and replacing missing teeth with implant-supported dentures can not only improve your oral health and quality of life but also change your profile and give you a non-surgical facelift! Only your cosmetic dentist can tell you for sure. Isn’t it worth it to find out?
Is your age just a number?
It can be if you preserve your youth through attitude, lifestyle, and, of course, by your Burke dentist skilled in cosmetic dentistry. You can feel attractive at any age by making minor or profound personal improvements. Schedule your consultation today 703-503-9490.
Share what helps you keep your age just a number in the comments below!
The content on this blog is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of qualified health providers with questions you may have regarding medical conditions.