Some call it “Body Candy.” Others cringe, “What will they think of next?” What might your Alexandria dentists have to say about “bejeweled” tongues, lips, or cheeks?
What’s in Your Mouth?!
When you think about it, your mouth hosts a plethora of bacteria. Is there a higher risk of infections and complications when piercing soft tissues there? Obviously.
Verify the facts—check this link to the reputable American Dental Association.
Learn Before You Leap!
It can sound cool to be labeled as “spontaneous.” But, before rushing to a tattoo and piercing parlor, it’s smart to spend a minute reading the following bullet points:
- Blood-borne “Bugs”: Hepatitis B, hepatitis C, HIV, and tetanus are real possibilities if the piercing equipment isn’t completely sterilized.
- Oral Obstacles: Tongue swelling after a piercing can interfere with chewing and swallowing. Oral jewelry (particularly barbell styles) are infamous for chipping teeth. Gum recession (potential tooth loss) is also extremely common if jewelry rubs on gum tissue.
- Allergy Activation: Particularly jewelry made of nickel, but others too, can cause allergic reactions.
- Skin Septicity: Swelling, pain, redness, a pus-like discharge—all can be results of post-piercing skin infections.
- Chewing Challenges: Tongue piercing can make chewing (let alone speaking!) a real trial. Taste may be altered too.
- Drool Dribbles: Tongue jewelry stimulates excess saliva production, therefore drooling. It can be permanent!
- Nerve Numbness: If nerves become damaged during piercing, loss of sensation can occur. Prolonged bleeding can happen if blood vessels become punctured.
Healing time for a pierced tongue can be 4 to 6 weeks; a pierced lip between 1 and 2 months.
Take Care of Yourself!
After every meal or drink, rinse with a good mouthwash like Listerine, for at least 2 weeks.
- Don’t touch/fiddle with the piercing!
- Avoid tobacco-based products, alcohol, hard/sticky or spicy foods, and swimming.
- If any yellow or green discharge, or a pimple-like abscess begin at the piercing site—seek professional healthcare!
It’s Up to You
Even if you like to be spontaneously-adventurous, keeping regular appointments with your Alexandria dentists is just plain smart. We’ll check your teeth, gums, tongue and soft tissues for early signs of deterioration and save you a whole lot of pain and money in the long run!
Do most people who pursue body piercing scrutinize the reputation of the one performing it? Does it make a difference? Give your feedback, and don’t forget to share this post!